You might be surprised to learn that each year more than 20 million individuals are injured in car accidents. One of the most serious types of car accidents that occur involve multiple-vehicle collisions.
Recently, Washington law enforcement temporarily closed a section of Interstate 5 due to a three-vehicle accident that resulted in a person being killed as well as many other individuals being injured. The accident was later determined to have occurred because a semi-truck failed to stop for traffic that had stopped near a construction zone. Because the truck did not stop, it ended up colliding with a passenger vehicle, which pushed this second vehicle into a third vehicle. Due to the force of the collision, the operator of the second vehicle was killed.
While multiple vehicle collisions are sometimes impossible to prevent, there are some important steps that motor vehicle drivers can take to avoid being involved in one. There are also some important steps that drivers can take to avoid being killed or more seriously injured.
Steps to Avoid Multiple Vehicle Accidents
There are some important steps that a person can take to substantially reduce the risk of being involved in a multiple vehicle accident. Some of the important safety precautions include the following:
- Adequate space: Allow other motor vehicle drivers to have an adequate amount of space. Failing to do so can result in one driver being unable to react quickly enough and subsequently colliding with another driver.
- Anticipate obstacles: Quick motions like swerving to avoid debris in the road can result in serious accidents. Instead, anticipate any obstacles that might occur while operating your vehicle.
- Eliminate distractions: Avoid any distractions that arise while driving. This means that drivers should never talk on the phone while driving. It is also a wise idea to avoid playing with the radio or looking at your GPS while driving.
- Pull over during bad weather: When the weather gets bad while driving, pull off the side of the road and wait until the weather improves before continuing to drive.
- Prepare for weather: By staying up to date with weather reports, you can make sure that you are prepared for road conditions. This should include examining your vehicle's existing tire treads to make sure the automobile is prepared for rain or snow.
- Slow down: If you are traveling in adverse weather conditions or are driving through any other condition that makes it difficult to see, it is a wise idea to slow down your vehicle.
What to do if You are Involved in a Pile-Up
Multiple vehicle accidents can occur in a split second. If a motor vehicle operator does not respond promptly after the accident occurs, these pile-ups can be deadly. If you are involved in a vehicle pileup, you should make sure to do the following:
- Assess injuries: Determine whether you or anyone else in the vehicle has been injured in any way due to the accident.
- Do not leave the vehicle until it is safe to do so: Even once you think the accident is over, there is the possibility that you might be struck by another vehicle. Remain seated in the vehicle with your seatbelt secure.
- Move the vehicle: Although it is rare, in some situations following a pile-up, it is possible to move a person's vehicle to a clear section of road. Doing so can help reduce your risk of being struck by another vehicle.
- Wait for emergency services: You should make sure to obtain a medical screening even if you do not believe that you have been immediately injured. It is also a wise idea for law enforcement to write an accident report because this can help to establish exactly how the accident occurred.
Speak with a Spokane Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one has been involved in a pileup accident, it is common to end up facing very serious injuries and significant vehicle damage. As a result, you should not hesitate to get a lawyer involved in fighting for the compensation you deserve. Contact West Law Office today to schedule a free case evaluation.
(image courtesy of Dan Gold)
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment