Many people are not aware of just how deadly side impact collisions can be. While head-on collisions are often associated with the most severe type of car accident, side impact collisions have the potential to be just as deadly. While the fronts of cars are cushioned with machinery that can soften the force before it reaches the motor vehicle operator, the sides of cars lack this type of padding and as a result, side impact collisions frequently result in fatalities. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety each year reports that side impact collisions represent one of the deadliest types of accidents based on the number of fatalities. If you or a loved one is harmed in a side impact collision in Spokane, Washington or the surrounding area, contact a knowledgeable accident attorney who will fight for the compensation that you deserve.
What Constitutes a Side Impact Collision?
A side impact, “broadside,” or “t-bone” collision occurs when two vehicles collide at a 90-degree angle. Most often, these accidents occur at intersections. A common example of how a side impact collision might occur is if Driver # 1's traffic light switches from red to green to signal that Driver #1 can safely proceed through the intersection. Driver # 2 has a red light but fails to obey this traffic signal and travels through the intersection. As a result, the front end of Driver # 2's vehicle collides into the side of Driver # 1's vehicle.
The Ways in Which Side Impact Collisions Occur
There are several ways in which a side impact collision might occur, which include the following:
- Adverse weather conditions that make it difficult for motor vehicle operators to see.
- Aggressive motor vehicle operators.
- Drivers who fail to obey posted traffic signs and signals including most often red lights and stop signs.
- Drivers who fall asleep at the wheel.
- Drivers who operate vehicles while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Drivers who poorly communicate between one another.
- Excessive speeding by drivers.
- Failure by motor vehicle operators to yield the right of way.
- Inexperience motor vehicle drivers.
- Motorists who drive while distracted, which includes not just texting but many other activities that can take a motor vehicle operator's mind off the road.
Common Injuries Associated with Side Impact Collisions
There are some serious injuries that are often caused by side impact collisions, which include but are certainly not limited to:
- Bone fractures.
- Internal organ damage.
- Pelvic fractures.
- Spinal cord damage.
- Traumatic brain injuries.
Contact a Washington Accident Attorney
The legal counsel at West Law Office understands just how devastating side impact collisions can be. There are many complications with which a side impact collision accident victim can be faced including large medical bills and significant physical impairments. Fighting for compensation after such an accident, however, can be difficult and requires the assistance of the best legal counsel possible. Contact West Law Office today to make sure that your case resolves in the best possible manner.
(image courtesy of Josh Blanton)