Schedule your free consultation 509-993-0748

Expungements and Vacating Records

Clearing the Smoke: Understanding the Vacating of Marijuana Charges

In Washington State, the process of clearing a criminal record related to marijuana charges is referred to as "vacating" rather than "expungement." Vacating a conviction does not completely erase the record but can provide certain legal benefits and protections. Here's an overview of the vacating process for marijuana charges in Washington:

  1. Eligibility: Not all marijuana-related offenses are eligible for vacating. Generally, offenses involving distribution, manufacturing, or possession with intent to distribute are not eligible. However, certain misdemeanor marijuana possession offenses and possession of marijuana paraphernalia offenses may be eligible for vacating.

  2. Waiting Period: There is typically a waiting period before you can apply to vacate a marijuana conviction. The waiting period varies depending on the offense. For most misdemeanor marijuana possession offenses, you must wait at least three years from the date of completion of your sentence, including probation and payment of fines.

  3. Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible for vacating a marijuana conviction, you must meet specific criteria. This typically includes completing all the terms of your sentence, not having any pending charges, and demonstrating rehabilitation and good conduct since the conviction. It is important to note that each case is unique, and eligibility requirements may vary based on the specific circumstances.

  4. Filing a Petition: To begin the vacating process, you need to file a petition with the court where you were convicted. The petition should include details about your conviction, your eligibility for vacating, and the reasons why the court should grant your request. It is advisable to consult with an attorney to ensure that your petition is properly prepared.

  5. Court Review: Once you file the petition, the court will review it and consider various factors, such as your criminal history, conduct since the conviction, and the potential impact of vacating the offense on your rehabilitation and reintegration into society. The court may also consider input from the prosecuting attorney before making a decision.

  6. Effect of Vacating: If the court grants your petition to vacate the marijuana conviction, your conviction may be modified to show that it has been "vacated" rather than "convicted." This means that for most purposes, you can legally state that you have not been convicted of the vacated offense. However, some entities, such as law enforcement and certain government agencies, may still have access to the vacated conviction.

    It's crucial to consult with an experienced attorney who specializes in Washington State criminal law and vacating convictions to guide you through the process. They can help you understand the specific requirements, gather the necessary documents, and ensure that your petition is properly prepared and presented to the court.

    For the most accurate and up-to-date information, I recommend referring to the official Washington State Legislature website or seeking legal advice from a licensed attorney familiar with Washington State's vacating laws and procedures. Contact Russell West from West Law office at 509-993-0748 to start this process.

West Law Office - Russell West Attorney

Spokane Attorney Russell West practice areas include: Auto Accidents, Personal Injury, Motorcycle Accidents, Slip and Falls, DUIs, DOL Hearings, Criminal Traffic, Expungement/Vacating Records, and Insurance Bad Faith

West Law Office
509-423-7510 (fax)
Mon: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Tue: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Wed: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Thu: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Fri: 09:00am - 05:00pm