Schedule your free consultation 509-993-0748

Summer Driving and Gas Tips

What Damages Can You Get in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?

Posted by Russell West | Sep 30, 2023 | 0 Comments

Financial stress has become a ubiquitous part of life. New strains of COVID come and go, but high prices and stagnant wages seem to be here to stay. As stressful as it can be to see your bank account balances skating so close to the red when you have a full-time job supplemented by some part-time gigs, working people are at peace about their finances compared to those of similar age who are unable to work because of a serious injury. In some cases, personal injury lawsuits are the best way to get compensation for financial losses you incurred as a result of accident-related injuries, especially if a preventable accident caused you to leave the workforce when your employment income was the main source of financial support for you and others. Going through litigation is a time-consuming process, but a Spokane auto accident lawyer can help you decide if it is the right choice for you and can help you get the money you need.

Compensation for Accident-Related Financial Losses

There is a great variety among personal injury lawsuits. The accidents that lead to injuries can involve vehicles, accidental falls, interpersonal violence, and medical errors, among other causes. The financial losses resulting from the accident vary according to the nature of the injuries and according to the plaintiff's financial situation before the accident. One thing that all plaintiffs in personal injury lawsuits have in common, though, is that they all have unaffordable medical bills due to an injury caused by someone else's negligence. Therefore, in a personal injury case, your goal is to prove that the injury resulted from the defendant's negligence and the medical bills resulted from the injury. If you still require treatment after the date that you file the lawsuit, you can also seek damages for future medical expenses. Your lawyer can help you get an expert's estimate of how much your future medical costs related to the accident will be.

You can also seek compensation for income you lost because of your injuries if the accident caused you to take an unpaid leave of absence from work or retire early. This amount includes past and future lost income. Compensation for medical expenses and lost income is known as economic damages.

Compensation for Things That Money Cannot Buy

If your injuries are very serious, you can also seek non-economic damages. Non-economic damages, also known as pain and suffering, are compensation for the losses you suffered because of the accident that does not have a dollar value. This money is meant to compensate you for things like no longer being able to ride a bicycle because of chronic pain or no longer being able to play trivia games because of short-term memory loss. The court determines the amount of non-economic damages based on the severity of your injuries, which is to say, based on the cost of your accident-related medical expenses.

Contact West Law Office About Car Accident Cases

A personal injury lawyer can help you get fair compensation for your financial losses resulting from an accident. Contact West Law Office in Spokane, Washington, to find out more about your legal options.

About the Author

Russell West

Russell West from West Law Office, located in Spokane, Washington represents clients in areas of criminal traffic, misdemeanors, and personal injury. DUI’s, Reckless Driving, Negligent driving, Hit and Run, and Driving with Suspended license are the majority of criminal traffic violations. Drug Charges, Theft, and Domestic Violence account for most of the other criminal cases Russell handles.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

West Law Office - Russell West Attorney

Spokane Attorney Russell West practice areas include: Auto Accidents, Personal Injury, Motorcycle Accidents, Slip and Falls, DUIs, DOL Hearings, Criminal Traffic, Expungement/Vacating Records, and Insurance Bad Faith

West Law Office
509-423-7510 (fax)
Mon: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Tue: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Wed: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Thu: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Fri: 09:00am - 05:00pm