In April 2018, a pedestrian was trying to cross the street in Spokane when he was struck and killed by a motor vehicle operator. At the time the accident occurred, the motor vehicle operator was driving 40 miles per hour above the speed limit. The driver, who was injured in the accident, was taken to a nearby medical facility where an officer smelled intoxicants on her breath. The woman later admitted that she had at least two drinks prior to getting into her vehicle. The woman was subsequently charged with driving under the influence and vehicular homicide.
Statistics compiled by the Governors Highway Safety Association suggest that the number of pedestrians killed in traffic jumped 11% within the last year. If you are one of the people who is impacted by a pedestrian accident, it is a wise idea to obtain the assistance of a skilled accident attorney.
Types of Pedestrian Car Accidents
Pedestrian accidents involve a car, motorcycle, or truck, and a person who is not in the vehicle. Some of the most common ways in which these accident occur include the following:
- Back Over and Parking Lot Accidents: These accidents occur when a vehicle is backing up and collides with a pedestrian. These accidents are common in parking lots when surrounding motor vehicles block a driver's view.
- Crosswalk Accidents: These accidents occur when a pedestrian is in a crosswalk at the time that a collision occurs with a vehicle.
- Loss of Control Accidents: These accidents include sideswiping a pedestrian on a sidewalk or striking a pedestrian after losing control of a vehicle. These accidents often result in a pedestrian being run over and trapped under a vehicle or crushed between a vehicle and another stationary object.
Safety Advice if You are Involved in a Pedestrian Accident
The things that are done following a pedestrian accident can significantly influence the outcome of a case. Some of the important steps that a person who is involved in a pedestrian accident should take include the following:
- Seek prompt medical attention. People who are involved in accidents should promptly seek medical attention even if they do not believe that they have been seriously injured. Doing so helps to make sure that any arising injuries are promptly treated as well as to create medical documentation of a person's injuries.
- Record information about how the accident occurred. The passage of time can greatly affect a person's ability to remember how an accident occurred. Any person who is involved in an accident should make sure to record as much information about an accident as possible after the accident occurs.
- Speak with a skilled accident attorney. Any person who is involved in a pedestrian accident should make sure to promptly obtain the assistance of a seasoned accident attorney.
Obtain the Assistance of a Seasoned Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, speak with a seasoned pedestrian accident attorney. West Law Office has the experience necessary to help the victims of pedestrian accidents obtain the compensation they deserve. To schedule an initial free consultation, contact our law office today.
(image courtesy of Daniel Monteiro)
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment