A woman was recently killed in a car crash that occurred in the parking lot of a Post Falls club. She passed away after falling from the passenger side of a moving pickup truck. After Idaho State Police responded to the accident, the woman was taken to a nearby facility where she later died from her injuries. It remains uncertain whether she fell from the vehicle accidentally or as the result of foul play. The driver of the truck was later charged with felony possession of a controlled substance as well as driving under the influence.
The American Automobile Association (AAA) reports that approximately 14% of all motor vehicle accidents occur in parking lots. These accidents include everything from minor fender benders to more serious collisions. Distracted driving causes a large number of parking lot accidents. One of the best steps that motor vehicle drivers can take is to learn more about how parking lot accidents occur.
Common causes of parking lot accidents include:
- Poorly maintained parking lots. When a parking lot owner fails to take adequate measures to maintain the surface and structure of the lot, the likelihood of an accident occurring increases substantially. When a poorly maintained parking lot is the cause of an accident, the property owner can be held liable for resulting damages.
- Design issues. Poorly designed parking lots can lead to serious accidents. For example an entrance to a parking lot could be located on a busy street, there may be no signs indicated proper direction for flow of traffic, or there may be no proper guard rails or brightly colored safety zones.
- Distracted drivers. When drivers do not pay attention to their surroundings, pedestrians are at risk of being struck. Pedestrians moving through parking lots should always keep a close watch of nearby vehicles.
- Adverse weather conditions. Ice and other adverse conditions cause numerous parking lot accidents. Pedestrians who cross parking lots should be cautious of ice or water in which they might slip and fall.
Safety Strategies in Parking Lots
Drivers in parking lots should follow some important safety strategies to reduce their risk of being in an accident. These strategies include:
- Make sure that you have ample room to both park you vehicle and open your vehicle's doors.
- Avoid backing-over accidents, which occur when drivers fail to check behind them or when pedestrians enter a vehicle's blind spot. Look around and under your vehicle before getting into it.
- Travel a safe distance behind other vehicles while passing through a parking lot.
- Expect pedestrians and as a result, slow down and cautiously proceed through parking lots.
Contact a Parking Lot Accident Lawyer
While they might sound tame, parking lot accidents can result in serious injuries and even fatalities. If your accident was caused by the fault of someone else, you should not hesitate to speak with an experienced attorney. Contact West Law Office today to schedule a free case evaluation.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment