Schedule your free consultation 509-993-0748

Summer Driving and Gas Tips

Are You an Injured Passenger?

Posted by Russell West | Aug 14, 2016 | 0 Comments

Many of us will ride with friends and family members for short distances, such as to the grocery store, or long distances, such as to visit family members in a different state. Though we may not consider it at the time, car accidents do and can happen every day. Car accidents are a scary thing to be a part of, but it is even more scary and overwhelming when you have no control over the accident because you are a passenger in the vehicle.

So, what happens when you are the passenger in a car accident? If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, it is in your best interest to contact an experienced Spokane auto accident attorney so that we can help you strategize about the best possible outcomes for your case.

Rights of Injured Passengers

In Washington, when a driver allows a passenger into his or her vehicle, that driver is implicitly agreeing to exercise a reasonable duty of care to ensure that the passenger is safe while the driver is driving. However, accidents still may occur and when they do, an injured passenger has the right to be compensated. Who the passenger can hold liable for his or her injuries depend on the circumstances and facts of the case. In many cases, a passenger can make a claim against the driver's insurance policy or the insurance policy of the other driver that was involved in the accident.

If there are multiple vehicles involved in the accident, a passenger may seek compensation for his or her injuries based on the level of fault that each driver had for the accident to occur. Washington is a pure comparative negligence state, therefore, each driver would have to pay his or her amount of fault. For instance, if the passenger is seeking $100,000 and there are two drivers involved in the accident where one driver is at fault 60% and the other driver is at fault 40%, then the passenger will be able to receive $60,000 from the first driver and $40,000 from the second driver. In most situations, passengers are usually reluctant to sue the person that they are riding with because the driver is usually a friend or family member. The passenger should not feel bad, however, because he or she is not necessarily going after the loved one who was driving, but his or her insurance policy.

Need Legal Advice?

When you are involved in a car accident as a passenger, you still have rights and you can be compensated for whatever injuries you sustain from one or both drivers depending on the circumstances. You have a right to be compensated for your injuries, and with the help of an experienced Spokane auto accident attorney, you can be. If you or a loved one have been injured in an auto accident, contact an experienced auto accident attorney to help you with your case. Contact the West Law Office online or call us at 509-993-0748 today.  

(image courtesy of D. Medina) 

About the Author

Russell West

Russell West from West Law Office, located in Spokane, Washington represents clients in areas of criminal traffic, misdemeanors, and personal injury. DUI’s, Reckless Driving, Negligent driving, Hit and Run, and Driving with Suspended license are the majority of criminal traffic violations. Drug Charges, Theft, and Domestic Violence account for most of the other criminal cases Russell handles.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

West Law Office - Russell West Attorney

Spokane Attorney Russell West practice areas include: Auto Accidents, Personal Injury, Motorcycle Accidents, Slip and Falls, DUIs, DOL Hearings, Criminal Traffic, Expungement/Vacating Records, and Insurance Bad Faith

West Law Office
509-423-7510 (fax)
Mon: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Tue: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Wed: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Thu: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Fri: 09:00am - 05:00pm