On January 11, 2019, the Spokane County Sheriff's Department reports that a deadly vehicle collision occurred involving a pedestrian. According to law enforcement, a woman who was struck by a vehicle was treated at the scene of the accident and later transported to a nearby medical facility where she eventually died from her injuries. The Spokane County Traffic Unit Investigation unit has determined that the driver of the vehicle was not impaired at the time the accident occurred. The driver was not charged in the accident, but an investigation into matters is still ongoing.
Everyone on the roadways has the duty to act safely to avoid accidents. Not only should all drivers understand what steps can be taken to avoid striking pedestrians, but pedestrians should understand what steps can be taken to avoid being struck by motor vehicle drivers.
How to Avoid Pedestrian Accidents
If you are a driver, there are several steps that you can take to avoid a pedestrian accident. Some of these steps include:
- Pedestrians have a tendency to be unpredictable. If you are traveling through an area that has a large number of pedestrians, travel slowly to avoid accidentally colliding with someone who is attempting to cross the road.
- The handicapped and the elderly often require more time to cross the streets than others. Make sure to provide an adequate amount of crossing time for individuals in this situation.
- Attempt to make eye contact with all pedestrians who cross in front of your vehicle because this helps communicate that you acknowledge the pedestrian's presence on the road.
- There are special rules that should be followed by drivers who are traveling near school zones because children have a tendency to not look both ways before crossing the road. It is critical for drivers to exercise a high degree of caution when passing through these areas.
Steps Pedestrians can Take to Avoid Being Struck by Motor Vehicles
There are a number of safety precautions that pedestrians can take to avoid ending up in a serious accident. Some of these steps include:
- While crossing the road, remain in designated pedestrian crossing areas. These areas are much more visible to motor vehicle operators than other places where you might attempt to cross the road.
- Be careful while walking around stopped vehicles. Sometimes, other vehicles try to quickly maneuver around and pass stopped vehicles, and end up colliding with a pedestrian.
- Some of the deadliest pedestrian accidents occur when a driver stops his or her vehicle on the side of the road. Especially on busy highways, passing drivers often do not pay attention to who or what is stopped at the side of the road. If it is necessary to stop your vehicle in such a way, you should make sure to leave as much possible space between you and the roadway to avoid being struck by motor vehicle operators traveling too fast to take the surrounding conditions into consideration.
Contact a Knowledgeable Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian accidents occur in a number of ways. If you or a loved one is struck by a motor vehicle while walking or riding a bicycle, speak with a knowledgeable car accident attorney right away. Contact West Law Office today to schedule an initial free consultation. We understand just how serious these cases can be and will remain committed to fighting for the best possible outcome in your case.
(image courtesy of Ashim d'Silva)