Spokane Valley law enforcement states that a reckless driver recently caused a deadly accident near Sprague and Park. A deputy, who was in the area investigating two earlier reports of a vehicle driving recklessly, saw a silver Malibu weaving about at high speeds. The deputy reported that the Malibu cut through a parking lot and emitted sparks as it traveled. After turning on his emergency lights, the deputy attempted to catch up to the Malibu. Shortly after, the Malibu crashed into another vehicle while approaching an intersection.
Due to the collision, the Malibu's driver was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. The driver of the other car was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. No one else was riding in either vehicle. The Malibu was later determined to have been reported stolen.
It is easy to dismiss unsafe drivers as simply another annoying aspect with which Spokane motorists must contend, but in reality, these drivers are one of the biggest threats to the lives of everyone on the road. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that one of the primary contributors to an increase in traffic fatalities in the last two years is unsafe behaviors by motorists. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention even reports that more than 1,000 individuals are injured and eight are killed each day as a result of distracted or reckless drivers. The following are some critical strategies that motorists can follow to stay safe when sharing the roadways with reckless and distracted drivers.
Make Sure to Spot an Unsafe Driver Early
Most times, an unsafe driver is immediately recognizable. Some of the patterns you will likely see if a driver is recklessly operating a vehicle include:
- Either staying at a stoplight too long or passing through one too quickly
- Inability to maintain lane or speed
- Not meeting the speed of the surrounding traffic
- Weaving in and out of traffic
Ways to Avoid Reckless Drivers
Regardless of how a reckless driver is traveling, there are some helpful strategies that you can take to reduce the risk of ending up in an accident, which include:
- Assume other drivers cannot see you. Regardless of whether the other driver is under the influence or just being reckless, it is best to assume that they do not see you and take steps to avoid them.
- Give ample space to unsafe drivers. It is critical to maximize the distance between your vehicle and anyone else you might believe is an unsafe driver.
- Inspect intersections before entering them. Reckless drivers often miss that lights have gone from yellow to red. If you pass an intersection the moment a light turns green, you are at an elevated risk of being hit by someone traveling from another direction and attempting to run the light. Instead, it is better to cautiously examine traffic from all angles before passing through an intersection.
- Wear a seatbelt. It is impossible to avoid every unsafe driver. This is why you should wear a seatbelt and ensure that the other passengers in your vehicle do so as well.
- Remain self-aware. While being observant of reckless driving is a good idea, you should remain watchful of displaying any of these signs yourself.
Speak with a Spokane Car Accident Attorney
Regardless of how your accident occurred, it can help to speak with a knowledgeable attorney. Contact West Law Office today by calling (509) 993 - 0748.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment