Two people were injured in November in a reckless driving accident that occurred on Interstate 90 close to the Sprague accident. One motorist was driving recklessly around 4:30 pm eastbound on Interstate 90 when he lost control of his vehicle. The car then struck both left and right barriers and then hit a second car, which was transporting a man and his wife. Both vehicles came to a stop in the eastbound lanes of Interstate 90. The man in the second car was taken to the hospital for treatment of his injuries.
The Insurance Information Institute reports that in 2018, 3.8% or 1,955 of all deadly motor vehicle crashes involved drivers who were operating vehicles in an erratic, reckless, or negligent manner. An even larger number of motorists were injured in these crashes.
What Washington Law Says About Reckless Driving
Washington law states that any individual who drives any vehicle with willful or wanton disregard for the safety of others or property engages in reckless driving. A conviction of reckless driving can result in a person facing a misdemeanor punishable by up to 364 days (one day short of a year) in prison and fines of up to $5,000. Also, a person's license or permit to drive will be suspended for at least 30 days as a result of a reckless driving conviction.
Common Examples of Reckless Driving
Some of the most common ways in which reckless driving occurs on Spokane roads are:
- Excessively and dramatically changing lanes
- Improper passing, which might include using the shoulder of the road or not signaling
- Not stopping at traffic lights or stop signs
- Speeding well above the speed limit or driving conditions
How to Protect Yourself From Reckless Drivers
Drivers must stay alert to reckless drivers whenever they are on the road. Some of the most helpful strategies to avoid collisions with reckless drivers include:
- Avoid tailgating. If the vehicle in front of you slows down, remember to slow down as well and leave an adequate amount of space between vehicles.
- Stay focused on the road. One of the best ways to increase your focus is to eliminate any distractions in your vehicle. If you have to wait until your destination to text someone, so be it.
- Remember, speed limits were created to keep motorists safe. Follow the posted speed limit if road conditions are safe, if you must decrease your speed then travel at a rate that feels comfortable.
Contact a Spokane Accident Attorney
Reckless driving is just one of several driving behaviors that law enforcement in Spokane and the rest of Washington take seriously. While many lawyers claim to fight for the results that accident victims deserve, you need an attorney who is compassionate about the facts of your case and experienced enough to collect all of the critical evidence to show how your crash occurred and who is responsible. Contact West Law Office today to schedule a free case evaluation. During this initial meeting, attorney Russell West will describe your available options to pursue compensation.