Schedule your free consultation 509-993-0748

Summer Driving and Gas Tips

Permissive Auto Users

Posted by Russell West | Sep 23, 2016 | 0 Comments

Sometimes we do it without even thinking. We let someone drive our car. Maybe they are running to the grocery store for a last-minute item or maybe we are tired on a long trip and decide to switch drivers. No matter the case, accidents are going to happen and we may not always be the person in our car when the accident occurs. Because of this it is important to understand what a permissive auto user is and whether an insurance policy covers it in the event of an accident. If you or a loved one have been injured in an auto accident and were not the owner of the car that you were driving or someone else was injured while driving your car, contact an experienced Spokane auto accident attorney so that we can help you strategize about the best possible outcomes for your case.

What is Permissive Use and Who is Liable?

Permissive use means that by giving someone permission to use your vehicle, he or she will typically be covered by your car insurance policy, depending on your policy, of course. For some insurance policies, household members will be deemed as permissive users with your automobile. However, as long as you give permission to someone to use your vehicle, then that will be enough.

What many people fail to realize, however, is that car insurance does not follow the driver. Auto insurance, instead, follows the car. Therefore, if your vehicle is in an accident, even though someone else was driving, your insurance will more than likely be the primary insurance used to settle any disputes. Whether the driver of your vehicle has insurance is sometimes irrelevant because their insurance would only act as a secondary insurance in the case your insurance does not sufficiently pay for damages. Because of this, it is important to understand your current insurance policy and consider seeking legal advice and representation in the case your car is in an accident, especially if the person driving your vehicle was not licensed, uninsured, or impaired while driving.

Need Legal Advice?

Accidents are scary and unfortunate in any situation. It can be more overwhelming, however, when you are in someone else's automobile or when you have allowed another person to use your vehicle. That is why it is important to note who you are allowing to use your vehicle and the consequences that may come along with it. If you or a loved one have been injured in an auto accident contact an experienced auto accident attorney to help you with your case. Contact the West Law Office online or call at 509-993-0748 so that we can help you with your case. Contact our office today.  

(image courtesy of Jane M. Sawyer) 

About the Author

Russell West

Russell West from West Law Office, located in Spokane, Washington represents clients in areas of criminal traffic, misdemeanors, and personal injury. DUI’s, Reckless Driving, Negligent driving, Hit and Run, and Driving with Suspended license are the majority of criminal traffic violations. Drug Charges, Theft, and Domestic Violence account for most of the other criminal cases Russell handles.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

West Law Office - Russell West Attorney

Spokane Attorney Russell West practice areas include: Auto Accidents, Personal Injury, Motorcycle Accidents, Slip and Falls, DUIs, DOL Hearings, Criminal Traffic, Expungement/Vacating Records, and Insurance Bad Faith

West Law Office
509-423-7510 (fax)
Mon: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Tue: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Wed: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Thu: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Fri: 09:00am - 05:00pm