Schedule your free consultation 509-993-0748

Summer Driving and Gas Tips

How to Respond if You are the Victim of a Hit-and-Run Crash

Posted by Russell West | Oct 29, 2021 | 0 Comments

A driver recently struck a pedestrian on Division Street and fled the scene. While the pedestrian was seriously injured in the crash, the driver remains at large. The pedestrian was transported to the local hospital but is expected to survive. Due to the crash, the intersection was closed for several hours while detectives investigated how the accident occurred. 

If you or a loved one was involved in a hit-and-run in Washington, you should make sure to follow several critical steps after the accident occurs. While this can be a stressful experience, remaining focused on what steps to take next as the victim of a hit-and-run crash is critical to pursuing the compensation you deserve. 

Call 911 if Anyone Might be Injured

You should call 911 for medical care if anyone is injured or likely to have been injured in your crash. Even though you or someone else in the crash might not immediately notice that you have been injured, remember that sometimes the true extent of injuries can take days or weeks to show. 

Contact the Police

Obtaining the assistance of the police is a critical step if you or a loved one has been injured in a hit-and-run crash, even if the vehicle was parked at the time of the collision or you did not see the damage occur. Police reports play a big role in helping victims of hit-and-runs file insurance claims. Additionally, law enforcement might be able to interview witnesses as well as gather important evidence about how your hit-and-run crash occurred. 

Collect Evidence About How the Crash Occurred

You should make sure to take as many photos as possible of the damage to your vehicle as well as the surrounding area. Photos of this kind can prove particularly helpful when insurance claims are filed. If you do not have a smartphone or are too injured to collect evidence, you should make sure to jot down some key details about how the hit-and-run crash occurred, including what damage resulted, how the accident happened, and where it occurred. 

Pursue an Insurance Claim

Filing an insurance claim immediately is one of the best steps that you can take if you or a loved one has been injured in a hit-and-run crash. An insurance agent can walk you through the process as well as your coverage limits, but if you would feel more comfortable speaking with your accident lawyer first, then they can handle the insurance companies for you. 

Speak With a Compassionate Accident Attorney

If you or a loved one has been injured in a hit-and-run crash, it is easy to end up feeling overwhelmed and uncertain about what you can do to pursue compensation. One of the best steps that you can take is to contact a compassionate accident attorney. Contact West Law Office today to schedule a free case evaluation. 

About the Author

Russell West

Russell West from West Law Office, located in Spokane, Washington represents clients in areas of criminal traffic, misdemeanors, and personal injury. DUI’s, Reckless Driving, Negligent driving, Hit and Run, and Driving with Suspended license are the majority of criminal traffic violations. Drug Charges, Theft, and Domestic Violence account for most of the other criminal cases Russell handles.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

West Law Office - Russell West Attorney

Spokane Attorney Russell West practice areas include: Auto Accidents, Personal Injury, Motorcycle Accidents, Slip and Falls, DUIs, DOL Hearings, Criminal Traffic, Expungement/Vacating Records, and Insurance Bad Faith

West Law Office
509-423-7510 (fax)
Mon: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Tue: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Wed: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Thu: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Fri: 09:00am - 05:00pm