When it comes to driving, your safety and the safety of others should be top priority. Sometimes, however, you can find yourself in situations that seem completely avoidable. If you are a first-time offender, then an arrest can be both confusing and frightening. It is for this reason that you must seek counsel immediately with an experienced law firm.
Understanding a DUI
As you may know, the term DUI stands for driving under the influence. While alcohol is typically the lead cause of DUIs, it is not the only possible form of intoxication.
Both legal and illegal drug use puts you and those around you at risk on the road. Keep in mind that alcohol falls into the same category as sensory-numbing drugs. Recently in the state of Washington, it was ruled that the drug marijuana can get you that DUI. If a person tests positive for more than five nanograms of THC when police administer drug testing, he or she can be looking at harsh penalties. If this has happened to you, seek specialized representation through a DUI lawyer.
The Penalties of Driving Under the Influence
The penalties you could be facing when given a DUI can get costly. The following are potential fees and sentencing you can be given for driving under the influence, specific to the state of Washington:
- First offenders will receive between one day to a year incarceration.
- Second-time offenders can receive between 30 days to a year incarceration.
- Third-time offenders can receive 90 days to a year incarceration.
- The state of Washington can electronically monitor your household for 15 to 30 days, depending on your BAC.
- Alcohol assessment or substance abuse may be necessary.
- First offenders can be fined from $865.50 to $5,000.
- Second-time offenders can be fined from $1,120.50 to $5,000.
- Third-time offenders can be fined from $1,970.50 to $5,000.
- First-time offenders can have their licenses suspended from 90 days to a year.
- Second-time offenders can have their licenses suspended from two years to 900 days.
- Third-time offenders can have their licenses suspended from three to four years.
The aforementioned costs do not include the reinstatement of one's license or of any fees related to the completion of sentence. Based on the information provided above, you can understand the importance of obtaining proper legal representation.
DUI Representation in Spokane, WA
West Law Office is a diligent group that helps those who have been caught driving under the influence receive lighter sentencing. We are able provide you with the services that you require with our specialized personal client attention. If you need representation for a DUI, please contact us online or call at 509-993-0748. We dedicate our time to getting you the peace of mind you deserve.