The Washington State Patrol reports that a 20-year-old woman was recently killed and a 20-year-old man was placed in the hospital after a DUI crash. The accident occurred when the driver of the vehicle crossed the centerline of Highway 2 and collided head-on with another vehicle.
The driver in the vehicle that was struck was later pronounced dead at the scene of the accident, while the passenger was transported to a medical facility with injuries. The driver who crossed the centerline is in stable condition. Law enforcement later stated that the cause of the accident was driving under the influence. As a result, the driver now faces charges of vehicular homicide.
One of the most most difficult things that a person can undergo is killing someone in a motor vehicle accident. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 90 people die in a motor vehicle accidents each day. While all motor vehicle accidents are emotionally disruptive, these accidents can be even more traumatic if someone dies. During this difficult time, it helps to understand some of the consequences that a person responsible for a deadly accident can face.
The Common Causes of Deadly Car Accidents
One of the best ways for motor vehicle operators to avoid deadly accidents is to understand the most common ways in which these accidents occur. Some of the most common causes of deadly car accidents include the following:
- Distracted driving, which can include talking on the phone, using a cell phone, putting on makeup, or listening to the radio.
- Fatigued driving, which occurs when drivers fall asleep at the wheel or grow tired to the point of being unable to safely operate a vehicle.
Reckless driving, which occurs when drivers fail to obey traffic laws.
Consequences of Deadly Car Accidents
There are several common consequences that people can expect to face if they cause a deadly car accident, which include:
- If the deadly car accident was the fault of a driver's dangerous or negligent operation of a motor vehicle, then he or she can expect to be arrested on criminal charges.
- The survivors of the person who is killed in the accident can commence a legal action against the at-fault driver. These lawsuits seek compensation for the various damages that occurred from the accident.
- In many car accidents involving fatalities, a person can expect his or her insurance rates to increase. Some policies, however, have first-time accident forgiveness, which does not result in a person's insurance rate going up.
Obtain the Assistance of a Skilled Accident Lawyer
Whatever the circumstances, if you have caused a deadly car accident, you should not hesitate to speak with an experienced attorney. Contact West Law Office today to obtain the assistance that you need to navigate this difficult time. We have helped numerous people navigate the legal repercussions of accidents involving fatalities and we understand the numerous complications that can arise.
(image courtesy of Tomasz Zagorski)
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment